King Arthur Whole Grain Baking
Made several changes to the recipe but it was really good and the children loved it! It made a nice creamy/moist dessert after a dinner of the leftover wild rice and sausage with chopped turkey. It was not overly sweet and I think it will be fine to serve to the children for breakfast in the morning.
- Used 3 c whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream since I had no half-and-half.
- Used succanat instead of brown sugar.
- Lost the bottle of vanilla extract (How is that possible I ask?!), so I squeezed a bit of vanilla seed out of one of the beans I have soaking in vodka.
- For bread, I used the leftover rolls and loaf bread from Thanksgiving. There were lots of nuts and dried raisins and cranberries so I didn't add the cranberries called for in the recipe.
- I think it would have been good with just milk and then use the cream over the top when served...more bang for your calorie buck!
- I think some coarse sugar sprinkled on top would have added a nice crunch.