Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cranberry-Orange Bread Pudding


King Arthur Whole Grain Baking
Page 119

Made several changes to the recipe but it was really good and the children loved it! It made a nice creamy/moist dessert after a dinner of the leftover wild rice and sausage with chopped turkey. It was not overly sweet and I think it will be fine to serve to the children for breakfast in the morning.

NOTES
  1. Used 3 c whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream since I had no half-and-half.
  2. Used succanat instead of brown sugar.
  3. Lost the bottle of vanilla extract (How is that possible I ask?!), so I squeezed a bit of vanilla seed out of one of the beans I have soaking in vodka.
  4. For bread, I used the leftover rolls and loaf bread from Thanksgiving. There were lots of nuts and dried raisins and cranberries so I didn't add the cranberries called for in the recipe.
  5. I think it would have been good with just milk and then use the cream over the top when served...more bang for your calorie buck!
  6. I think some coarse sugar sprinkled on top would have added a nice crunch.

No comments: