Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Browned Turkey Stock




Well I'm a little late getting a few of these things blogged but here we go...

Stock, bone broth, whatever you want to call it, I make a lot of it. I always find a use for it and it adds a depth of flavor that is very nice. After Thanksgiving, I was left with a couple of turkey carcasess. I ended up with 2 huge pots of cooking broth and was able to can 16 quarts of the rich liquid.

NOTES
-Bird parts, anything but the offal. For the brown version I brown the parts under the broiler before putting them in the stock pot.
-Fresh herbs, what ever is on hand
-Onions, carrots, celery, garlic. No need to peel them, just chunk them up. -Peppercorns
-Bay leaf, or a few depending how big your pot is
-White wine, a slosh or so for the acidity
-Cold water, enough to cover everything
-I don't usually add salt because I may be reducing it--a lot
-I bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and start removing the scum, then the fat.
-When it's done I strain it through a flour sack towel, chill it , and remove the fat
-Freeze or pressure can

No comments: