Thursday, December 28, 2006

Now or Later Pizza



I thought I would post this since it was a really nice crust. I don't usually use all white flour like this but I had a supply left over from Christmas baking that I thought I would try to use before going stale. The other thing, I had half a pound of crab meat to use up. I thought it could make a fun pizza topping to stretch it for a family of five. This is what happened.

Now or Later Pizza
King Arthur Baking Companion
page 247

Dough
3 c unbleached AP flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c water

Mix together until you have a soft dough. Don't overknead; it should hold together but look fairly rough on the surface.

Cover and let rise for 45 min, then refrigerate it for 4 hours (up to 36 hours); this step will develop this crust's flavor.

Divide the dough in half. Shape in 9 to 12 inch rounds. Cover and let rest for 30 min while you heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Bake in the middle rack for 4 minutes then remove. Add toppings and bake an additional 8 minutes or save for later.

If saved for later, cool the crust and wrap and refrigerate or freeze. When you are ready to cook them, remove, add toppings and bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. (I would think you would need to let these come to room temp)

NOTES
-One pizza had garlic, browned butter, goat cheese, parmasean, and crab. It wasn't bad but the crab was too heavy and overwhelmed the taste of the dough.
-The other crust was topped with a pizza sauce the I used tomato paste, water, salt, and a heavy sprinkle of Penzey's Pizza Seasoning. The rest of the toppings were sharp cheddar and mozerella. It was a very tasty pizza!
-I left the cust to develop in the refrigerator for about 24 hours and I thought that it had a nice flovor and a great texture.

No comments: