Monday, January 01, 2007

Cranberry Mustard

My husband loves all sorts of spicy and full-flavored "things". I saw this while I was looking for cranberry recipes and I thought he might like this. Turns out he LOVES it!! I will certainly make this again.

Cranberry Mustard
Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
page 273
Yield seven 4 ounce jars

1 c red wine vinegar
2/3 c yellow mustard seed
1 c water
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 3/4 cranberries (fresh or frozen)
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c dry mustard
2 1/2 tsp ground allspice


Bring the vinegar to a boil over high heat, remove from heat, add mustard seeds, cover and let stand 1 1/2 hours until all moisture is absorbed.


In a food processor or blender combine mustard seeds, water and worcestershire sauce and process until blended and most of the seeds are well chopped.


Transfer to a stainless steel pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce to medium and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Whisk in sugar, dry mustard and all spice. Continue to boil gently over low heat, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.


Ladle hot mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process in a BWB for 10 minutes.


NOTES

-I didn't have enough yellow seeds so I added black to make the total amount.

-The yield was about right. I used half pint jars and got 3 1/2 jars.

-This is really tasty and not very hot. We tried it straight out of the pan on pieces of cheese and it was great!

No comments: