Monday, January 08, 2007

Pear Cobbler


Well, it always seems to start this way...I begin with a recipe but what I end up making is far from the original...I mean far...


What I ended up with was this


Pear Cobbler


Topping

2 c hard white whole wheat flour, freshly milled so they were generous cups

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut in pieces

1/4 c sucannat with honey

1 egg
2/3 c milk


Filling

1 qt jar home canned pears in light syrup

2 tbs cornstarch

1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg


Coarse sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Mix all dry filling ingredients together. Cut in the butter. Mix the egg and milk and add wet to dry. Stir just enough to moisten and then let it sit while you make the filling.


Add the pears to a 9 X 9 pan. Mix in cornstarch and nutmeg. Mold bicut-round shapes of the dough and place them on top of the filling, covering most of the top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.


Bake for 40-45 min and serve with sweet whipped cream.
NOTES
-This biscut topping was fabulous, well, the whole thing was fabulous BUT...
-Next time I would leave out the cornstarch. There was not enough liquid in my one jar of pears to justify the starch and I like a "juicy" cobbler anyway.
-I would leave out the nutmeg (even though it is one of my favorites) and give it a try with fresh grated dried ginger. Then again, the nutmeg was really good! :o)

No comments: