Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sourdough Chocolate Cake with Orange Frosting


Sourdough Chocolate Cake
(adapted from the King Arthur 200th Anniversay Cookbook)

1 c sourdough starter
1 c milk
2 c flour (I used freshly milled hard white whole wheat)
1 1/2 c sugar (I used succanat with honey)
1 c vegetable oil (I used melted unsalted butter)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c cocoa
2 eggs
Frosting

Combine starter, milk and flour. Let work 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350.

In another bowl, cream sugar, oil, salt, vanilla, baking soda and cocoa. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine the creamed mixture with the sourdough mixture. Be gentle but make sure it is well blended.

Grease two 9" cake pans (I used one large bundt pan). Bake for 40-45 min, cool on a rack.
NOTES
-Less moist than when made with vegetable oil
-I made one of the frostings out of the same cookbook and it turned out to be a glaze instead of a frosting. It was still very tasty, just not the texture I was looking for.

No comments: