Monday, April 16, 2007

Chops and cabbage


This is one of Ralph's all time favorite things for me to make. I don't know when or where I started making it but it is tasty. All I do is season the chops with salt, pepper, and ground celery seed. The celery is the important thing here. Brown them off and set to the side. I then put chopped cabbage (sometimes with onions or even apples) on the bottom of the pan and stir it around in the left over drippings from browning the chops. I put the chops on top of the cabbage and then (very important) cover the pan. I finsih them off in the oven at 350 degrees. It works better with thicker chops because they don't get over cooked.
NOTES
-The celery seed is what makes this dish. I have tried to grind my own with little success. They are so fine the electric grinder doesn't pick them up, even if you add salt to them. A mortar and pestel works but this is one of those times that buying it ground is the way to go.
-I have made this with an open iron skillet before but you need to steam the cabbage first or it won't have the right texture.

No comments: