Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Leftover Beef Tenderloin



Well there was this whole thing with us having people over for our celebration of a Christian Passover Seder. Well, I made a beef brisket but I burned it! Ugghhh, at the last minute I ran to the store and picked up a beef tenderloin. Ironically, I ended up overcooking it! Over the years, whenever I have made a tenderloin we have always had lefteovers and this is just what I started doing with it. Years ago there was a Juilia Child recipe that I would make that was similiar to this but this is nowhere as complex. Here's what I do...
Cubed the leftover beef. Chop an onion (or a couple). Saute the onion in a little butter and olive oil until translucent, then add some chopped garlic. Don't let the garlic burn. Remove the garlic and onions to a plate. Add the beef to the skillet and brown it just a bit. Add some concentrated chicken or beef stock, return the onions and garlic and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes. Add some fresh herbs if you like and check the salt and pepper. Then, add a splash of heavy cream, just before serving.
I serve it over browned skillet potatoes or brown rice. Just garnish with some fresh parsley.
NOTES
-This is really good with mushrooms in it.
-Make sure not to add too much stock. You don't want this "soupy". I guess you could use plain stock without reducing it first but be careful not to get too much liquid in there.
-Don't return to a boil after you add the cream or the sauce will break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I had just one brain cell left at the end of the day, this is what I would have dreamed up. This was an absolutely perfect dinner from our leftover tenderloin. Thanks for being there when I needed a hand.