Saturday, December 15, 2007

Buttery Peanut Brittle


Peanut brittle is not something that I love, nor would I normally make. I had bunches of red skin peanuts left over from the wedding so I decided to make some. I had to compromise my ethics and buy Kayro syrup, but it still turned out pretty well. I will pack most of it up in gift baskets for gifts this year.



BUTTERY PEANUT BRITTLE


courtesy of cooks.com

2 cups sugar


1/2 cup water


1 cup white Karo syrup


1 candy thermometer



Cook sugar, water and Karo syrup together until temperature is 240°F degrees, then add 1 lb. nuts.



Cook until candy thermometer reads 300°F degrees. Butter the cookie pan and have ready (this is very important!):



1/2 teaspoon salt


2 teaspoon vanilla


3 tablespoon butter



Measure out and have ready:
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda



Quickly add salt, vanilla and butter, and have the 2 1/2 teaspoon of soda ready. Remove from heat, quickly add the soda (when adding the soda the mixture will fizz). Pour the (very hot!) mixture onto the greased cookie sheet or pan. Don't touch it or try to level the mixture with spoon.



Hint: During the cooking period, the mixture must be stirred constantly to prevent the nuts from burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this recipe! I think this and Kathy's turtles would make great Christmas goody bags, don't you?!?