Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kathie's Turtles


Well, I used this recipe from my online friend Kathie and they sure are good. I did use the corn syrup. I think you could try making the standard sugar and water subsititution for the corn syrup. It's so hard to make candy here where we live because it is so very humid all the time! I picked a couple of "drier" days and made these turtles and the peanut brittle. I think that's about it for candy for the year.


The caramel is chewy and the chocolate has a good shell. These are really tasty. I think the one change I would try is toasting the pecans as the first step. Then again...they'rre really good the way they are. Thank you Kathie!!


KATHIE'S TURTLES
1 lb. small pecan halves
2 cups light cream
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dipping chocolate (I used Ghiradelli bitterweet chips, melted in a double boiler, and then put the candy in the fridge for 10 minutes or so to get it to set after I dipped the turtles)


On buttered cookie sheets, arrange 6 dozen groupings of 4 pecan halves, to
resemble turtles; set aside.
In a large heavy saucepan, heat 1 cup cream to lukewarm. Add corn syrup,
sugar and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over moderate heat, until
mixture boils very slowly.
Stir in remaining 1 cup of cream that has been heated to lukewarm. Add
slowly so mixture does not stop boiling. Cook and stir constantly for 5
minutes.
Stir in butter, 1 teaspoon at a time. Turn heat low; boil gently and stir
constantly until mixture reaches 245 degrees F.
Remove from heat; gently stir in vanilla.
Cool slightly. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of syrup over each group of pecan
halves. Cool. Spread with melted dipping chocolate, or dip each turtle
separately.

No comments: